Prior to working at Rob Trost Real Estate, I volunteered at the Tillamook K9 Rescue located at 6965 Officer Row in Tillamook. Tillamook K9 Rescue works with Law Enforcement to ensure dogs found in our community have a safe place to stay while an owner is located. I first learned of the rescue center a few years ago when my family and I took a hike with our dog at the neighboring Anderson Hill Park. When I decided I wanted to volunteer at the K9 Rescue I reached out via Facebook and was quickly connected with Jeanet and Melanie--two very kind and passionate shelter managers.

If you enjoy giving dogs well-deserved love, while also meeting a community of passionate dog lovers, this might be the perfect volunteer opportunity for you! There are currently 19 volunteers in all making sure each dog receives plenty of exercise in any of the 3 outdoor play yards, and that everyone is fed and comfortable in their kennels. 

All the items in the shelter are donated and they are always accepting more donations. Some of the items that the shelter needs most include: cleaning supplies including bleach, unscented laundry detergent, dryer sheets, dog toys, dog treats, dish soap, peanut butter, slip leashes and flea medication. The Rescue also has a very active BottleDrop account. For those interested in donating their cans and bottles for recycling, those funds go directly to support the dogs in our care. Towels, blankets and dog food are also always needed. Physical items can be dropped off to our donation bin at the Tillamook Farmers Co-Op. Additionally, our Amazon wish list can be found on our website

While the shelter environment is set up in the most comfortable way possible, it still places the dogs in a stressful situation, as being away from home can be scary and unknown. Because of this, the K9 Rescue holds a dog for 5 days (2 days longer than Oregon Law requires) before putting them up for adoption. Within those 5 days, the dog is scanned for a microchip, contacts are called if listed on the collar, and it gets posted on social media to attempt to reach the owners.

Amazingly, the K9 Rescue estimates that 75% of the dogs that visit the shelter are reunited with their owner with the remaining 25% getting adopted out to new families. 

I am so grateful for this incredible resource in our community and hope others will feel compelled to volunteer! To work directly with the dogs, volunteers must be at least 16 years old (accompanied by an adult) and 18 and older to volunteer on their own.

To volunteer with the K9 shelter, you will be asked to fill out the application in this link and submit it digitally, or you can request a hard copy from Jeanet at the Tillamook Farmer’s Co-Op. 

Blog contributed by Meg Angier, Rob Trost Real Estate, LLC

Posted by Admin Account on
Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.